Next Online Book Club Selection: MATRIMONY by Joshua Henkin

HenkinI’m happy to announce the next EDIWTB online book club selection. This is a first for the blog – knowing that I had gotten a review copy of his book late last year, the author suggested to me that his book be our next book club selection. And so… the next book is Matrimony, by Joshua Henkin. Here is my initial blog post about it, from last December.

I am very excited to read Matrimonyit has been on my TBR list for a while.  My only hesitation is that the themes in the book seem to be somewhat similar to those in The Post-Birthday World – marriage, relationships, and "the path not taken." I apologize for the similarity and promise that the next selection will be completely different – maybe a book about the Civil War? (Ok, I make no such promise).

Matrimony‘s publisher, Pantheon, has generously agreed to send a number of copies of the book to EDIWTB readers who would like to participate in the online discussion. Because the quantity is limited, I ask that you request a copy only if you think you will actually read the book at some point and maybe post a comment or two whenever you do.

If you’d like to participate, please send your mailing address to me at gweiswasser@gmail.com. Depending on when the books go out, the online book club itself will take place around the middle of May.

Thank you to Josh and to Pantheon for helping facilitate another EDIWTB book club!

• April 10, 2008 - 10:37 am | Permalink

Ooo this was so fun last time! Can’t wait to do it again ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 10, 2008 - 1:07 pm | Permalink

For as much as I loved “Kevin” I cannot get into Post Birthday World. It’s just too slow for me. Ponderous is the word that comes to mind!

• April 10, 2008 - 1:13 pm | Permalink

Aw, I wish I could participate in this one. But I am three other books that are still on my nightstand to review. And I don’t seem to be making any progress on any of them. Procrastination at its finest.
    Since you have limited supply, I don’t want to take the opportunity from someone who may actually read the book in time! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m definitely in for the next round.
    Happy Reading!

• Kiki
    April 12, 2008 - 2:02 pm | Permalink

I would love to participate, but am so bogged down with reading! I am still finishing up The Post Birthday World, which I don’t mind, unlike Jennifer! I like the writing! And I’m still trying to read Three Cups of Tea and I started yet a third book: My Revolution. I really want to read Revolutionary Road but I can’t seem to procure and library copy…oh, well, I don’t have time anyway!
    Hopefully, I’ll get in on the next one!

• April 14, 2008 - 6:55 am | Permalink

Ooh, I already read this one !! I’m *so* ahead of the game xoxo, SG

• April 15, 2008 - 1:40 pm | Permalink

I would love to participate!

• April 15, 2008 - 7:14 pm | Permalink

I would love to join in! I sent you an email. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ameryan
    April 15, 2008 - 9:26 pm | Permalink

Wow! I’m excited. I just found this site after following a link in a Harper’s ad for the post birthday world As a reading teacher, I work in a rural area with many disadvantaged kids. They are great – I look having book clubs with the kids and getting them into books and reading. But I have few adults to read with and talk to about books…. this is great! I hope to read and participate in commenting on Matrimony

• Laura Adams
    April 16, 2008 - 10:46 am | Permalink

Missed out last month but can’t wait to read “Matrimony” and discuss it!

• Laura Adams
    April 16, 2008 - 10:47 am | Permalink

Missed out last month but can’t wait to read “Matrimony” and discuss it!

• Michelle
    April 16, 2008 - 3:50 pm | Permalink

I am the ‘coordinator’ for my book club, and I think this sounds interesting to try. I’ve had Matrimony on my list of books to read. Can’t wait to read and discuss ‘Matrimony’.

• Kiki
    April 29, 2008 - 5:44 pm | Permalink

Is it too late to get a copy–I just read a little essay Henkin’s wrote on another book blopg, and I am now dying to read this! I’d love to read this one–I’ve heard it is hard to put down.

• May 6, 2008 - 10:59 pm | Permalink

I just got my book today!!!

• May 8, 2008 - 5:08 pm | Permalink

Hm. I guess I’m too late to participate in this one, but I’ll be checking back for your next online book club selection! I found you on LisaMM’s blog and thought I’d check you out when I saw that you also have your own online book club. Maybe I can take some pointers from you … if you don’t mind.

• May 8, 2008 - 5:29 pm | Permalink

Rebecca – welcome! Please – take whatever pointers you’d like!

• May 19, 2008 - 8:18 pm | Permalink

MATRIMONY won the vote for the May/June book over at my on-line book club/blog Planet Books. Please check us out at the end of June and participate in the discussion. joshua Henkin’s will be joining us on-line to discuss his “baby”.

• Cheryl
    September 25, 2008 - 3:25 pm | Permalink

I, too, was excited about Matrimony as it was the book of the month for The Three Tomatoes Book Club. I want to abandon it because it is sooooooo boring, but am hopeful SOMETHING is going to happen….anything at all !?!?!?