WHILE I’M FALLING by Laura Moriarty

I read about While I'm Falling, by Laura Moriarty, in the August Indie Next List newsletter. The blurb: "While I'm Falling is a gripping story of what happens to good people blindsided by unforeseen circumstances of divorce and financial insecurity. Like the best writers of suspense, Laura Moriarty keeps the reader engaged with her vulnerable and heroic characters as she exquisitely mines the murky terrain of families and people in crisis and recovery."

From Amazon:

Moriarty Moriarty exposes the underbelly of family strife in this coming-of-age
college drama set near Lawrence, Kans. One day, Veronica Von Holten is
happy, med-school bound, in love with her boyfriend and not far from
her supportive family. Then her father finds another man in the bed he
shares with his wife of 26 years. As a messy divorce ensues, Veronica
struggles to keep her own life in check while her mother's unravels,
and a car accident, a house-sitting gig gone bad and an illicit kiss
turn Veronica's personal life upside down. Things come to a head when
her mother shows up on Veronica's dorm doorstep with the elderly family
dog, Bowzer. Veronica is faced with the difficult task of navigating
personal strife on top of her family's struggle to define itself anew.
Moriarty delves into this realistic but
narrow world with an inviting honesty and creates a cast of vivid and
flawed characters that will hold readers rapt with a queasy sense of
unease.

I've read a bunch of positive reviews of this book, one that compared Moriarty to Jodi Picoult, and one that called the book boring. I can't decide if it's worth pursuing or not. Also, is it YA or literary fiction? (Does it matter?)

Would love to know if anyone has read this and can weigh in..

• January 13, 2010 - 9:27 am | Permalink

I read this book and enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it. I know it’s not YA. I’m not sure how I’d classify it, but I don’t think I’d say it’s literary fiction.

• January 13, 2010 - 9:56 am | Permalink

I haven’t read this but I did read Laura Moriarty’s earlier novel, The Rest of Her Life, and was impressed. The characters in that novel, which is also about the havoc that random acts of fate can wreak on family life, struck me as original and well-crafted…which is why I would not insult Moriarty by comparing her to Jodi Picoult!

• Kiki
    January 13, 2010 - 1:44 pm | Permalink

I think this author is probably more comparable to authors like Julie Buxbaum, Jennifer Haigh and Maria de los Santos–not quite chick lit, and better than the ever formulaic Picoult. Books about family drama. haven’t read this one, yet,but may consider picking it up if it was offered to me, but with my ever growing pile…

• January 13, 2010 - 11:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comments! It’s funny, how we classify authors. I wouldn’t put Julie Buxbaum in the same camp as Jennifer Haigh, though it sounds like we all agree about Jodi Picoult.

• Susan
    February 11, 2010 - 8:53 pm | Permalink

I read this recently and loved it. Not really deep but the characters were very memorable. I would recommend it.

• TLB
    May 6, 2010 - 11:31 am | Permalink

Just checked this out from the library – looks promising