The TBR Pile in Pictures

An EDIWTB reader requested that I post some photos of the TBR piles. OK, here they are. Publishers beware! This is what I am up against!

This is the most current TBR pile. These are the books I have received most recently, and the ones that I keep prioritizing. They are supposedly grouped by priority, but the order always gets jumbled and needs to be reshuffled.

Tbr1

Here are the books next to the bed. These are the ones I am currently reading, or about to read, or have recently given up on, or are the “coffee table” type books that don’t move:

Tbr2

Here are the books at the bottom of the bookshelf that were in my TBR pile before I started blogging:

Tbr3

This is the bookshelf where I put the books I’ve already read. They aren’t all mine, but I love this bookshelf. I think of books as friends, and I love to just lie in bed and scan the shelves, thinking back over the characters and stories I remember.

Tbr4

And finally, I’d be dishonest if I didn’t include the spillover TBR list in the den, which is mostly made up of what I’ve bought at a few recent used book sales and a few review copies.

Tbr5

Pretty bad, huh? My friends call my bedroom “the bookstore”. Does this look familiar to anyone, or am I hopeless?

• May 9, 2010 - 10:31 pm | Permalink

Oh girl, you are not alone! Our shelves of already-been-read books are in the living room and bedrooms. The dining room (first room you walk into of the house) contains lamps w/ built-in shelves that house the TBR. Except now the TBR also lives in piles on the floor under the entryway table. And on the island in the kitchen. And the mantle.
    You get the picture.
    Methinks it’s time for a purge.

• May 10, 2010 - 6:25 am | Permalink

Heh, that is an impressive tbr. No worries though, I have a full bookshelf as my tbr so no judging from this corner! I think it is good having a selection to choose from… if sometimes hard to actually decide and settle down with the next choice!

• TLB
    May 10, 2010 - 6:48 am | Permalink

Looks glorious!

• May 10, 2010 - 7:54 am | Permalink

I love the bookstore name! I’m sure it’s overwhelming at times, but being surrounded by books sounds pretty heavenly.

• May 10, 2010 - 7:55 am | Permalink

Yep, it looks familiar to me. I actually think it’s a good problem to have – you can never have too many books.

• May 10, 2010 - 10:08 am | Permalink

Well, if you are hopeless, then so am I! Glad to know we all have the sickness ๐Ÿ™‚

• May 10, 2010 - 11:38 am | Permalink

Looks very familiar! Though I could never stack books the way you did in picture 1 – I need to see the spines!

• Melissa Stream
    May 10, 2010 - 12:58 pm | Permalink

wooooooooooooooooooow!! I WISH I had that problem. Say Gayle…if you need any help with those books, I’m available!! I have no kids and lots of free time. I’d be happy to help out as a blog assistant wink!

• May 10, 2010 - 5:42 pm | Permalink

My various TBR stacks look a lot like yours! I keep some of them in a cabinet with solid doors, which improves the look of things, but sometimes I forget what’s in there, so I kind of prefer the piles.

• May 10, 2010 - 5:57 pm | Permalink

I’m with you! It’s so much fun to go in and pluck one from the pile, though, right? Exciting!

• May 10, 2010 - 8:27 pm | Permalink

hmmmm… well I am not a keeper, of anything so I read them and pass along as much as possible. I keep my reference books and favorites or books I want to pass along to family in Mpls.
    Good luck with your stacks! I’m happy to see the MMBC sitting on your night stand! ๐Ÿ™‚ ha.

• Kiki
    May 10, 2010 - 9:11 pm | Permalink

Lovely! And familiar! My current stacks of TBR are in danger of falling over; they currently look like the twin Leaning Towers of Pisa!!

• May 11, 2010 - 3:11 pm | Permalink

That looks painfully like my life!

• May 11, 2010 - 5:50 pm | Permalink

Wow! I think I see “Word Freak” on top of one of your piles. If that’s right, it’s a great book — very entertaining.

• May 11, 2010 - 6:29 pm | Permalink

Wow, what a great group of comments! Glad that I am not alone in this. ๐Ÿ™‚
    @Kim – yes! WordFreak – really want to read it.
    @Mari – it’s next!
    @Lenore – I had them spines out for a while, but then needed to make room for a third pile so I had to turn them. It’s also less stressful that way…

• May 11, 2010 - 6:30 pm | Permalink

That TBR pile would give me palpitations.

• May 12, 2010 - 12:16 am | Permalink

I am feeling so much better! If I pulled out the books from under my bed and added the books in the dining room that are the ones I need to read for reviews, it would look exactly like this!

• May 12, 2010 - 10:44 am | Permalink

Wow and I thought mine was bad. It probably would be if I had that much square footage.

• May 12, 2010 - 3:34 pm | Permalink

Hey what are you doing in my house? Oh, sorry…I just thought it was from all the book piles.

• May 12, 2010 - 3:52 pm | Permalink

Wow, I love seeing other people’s book stacks ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine are pretty similar. I also how love widespread books can be.. as in, no room in the house is spared!

• May 12, 2010 - 9:21 pm | Permalink

Whew, now I don’t feel so bad. I thought I was the only one who lovingly looked at her bookshelf while laying in bed! ๐Ÿ™‚

• May 14, 2010 - 1:25 pm | Permalink

Wow, you remind me of me. I moved almost two months ago. I tried to thin out the shelves. But stil have books in my walk in closet, my son’s closet, on top of my airmoire, my book shelf, and on my tv stand. Before I came to this house. There were books all over the floor. But, book publishers are quickly sending me books again. What to do??!!

• May 15, 2010 - 12:48 am | Permalink

Yes this is very familiar-books everywhere spilling over.

• May 22, 2010 - 12:47 pm | Permalink

As my son would say – holy guacamole! ๐Ÿ™‚ Ok, I can’t act too shocked since I do have filled bookshelves and books stacked all over my house too.

• May 31, 2010 - 6:44 pm | Permalink

I’m blown away…
    =D

• August 2, 2010 - 6:01 pm | Permalink

This looks very familiar. Only I keep buying bookcases to manage the TBR pile. Which doesn’t help matters because if I can keep it looking neat, it doesn’t feel as overwhelming — even though it totally is! I feel your pain, and you’ve got a lot of the same books in your TBR that I’ve got in mine. They all look so good don’t they?