Book Haul from The Strand

I was in NY for business yesterday, and was in the neighborhood of The Strand bookstore. I decided to stop in for a quick visit, armed with my Goodreads To-Read list. Even though I know this probably isn’t true, I feel like I won’t be in NY for months and months after the baby is born, and that I need to stock up on books now. And because I have no books at home on the TBR list… (ha!). These are all contemporary fiction.

Here is a picture of the haul – all half-price or better. And here is what I bought:

Spoiled by Caitlin Macy – one of a few short story collections I bought, even though I rarely read short stories

The Divorce Party by Laura Dave

The Arrivals by Meg Mitchell Moore – looks light but good

You Are Free by Danzy Senna – this has gotten mixed reviews but looked good to me; more short stories

The Submission by Amy Waldman – I’ve wanted to read this one for a while

The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen – I keep reading good things about this one. Another in the Parent’s Worst Nightmare camp.

Sleepwalking in Daylight by Elizabeth Flock – this one also looks pretty light

The Late Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow – I usually have a rule that I won’t buy a book with a picture of shoes on the cover, but I made an exception for this one

The Red Thread by Ann Hood – I also avoid books with knitting/yarn on the cover but I liked the subject of this one (Chinese adoption)

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw – this book came out 2 days ago and looks good

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom – MORE short stories (I know!)

If you’ve read any of these titles, let me know what you thought of them!

• March 8, 2012 - 8:18 pm | Permalink

I’ve read a few of these but CARRY THE ONE is something special.

• March 8, 2012 - 9:50 pm | Permalink

Ooh, good to know! Can you fill me in on some of the others too?

• March 8, 2012 - 8:29 pm | Permalink

How fun! I’ve got to make it to The Strand one day. Enjoy your new books!

• March 8, 2012 - 9:51 pm | Permalink

Are you going to BEA this year? You HAVE to go to The Strand!

• March 9, 2012 - 10:17 am | Permalink

I was just going to email you and tell you I think you’d love Carry the One. I’m reading it now and loving it! I adored The Divorce Party (and have loved everything Laura Dave has written.) I liked The Late Lamented Molly Marx too. I just picked up The Grief of Others because it’s on the Orange Prize longlist, as is The Submission, whose bad writing did in a great idea for a novel. Enjoy your reading!

• March 9, 2012 - 11:07 am | Permalink

Wow, I know that I picked wisely if they overlap so much with what you’ve read. Thanks for the feedback. Sad to hear that about The Submission – I had such high hopes.

• Melanie
    March 9, 2012 - 12:21 pm | Permalink

I read the Late Lamented Molly Marx and I remember that I enjoed it and rated it 4 out of 5. But my journal doesn’t give me any hints on why I liked it.

• Len
    March 9, 2012 - 5:04 pm | Permalink

So what do you have against shoes and yarn? 🙂

For the second time this year, you have made me violate my 2012 resolution not to add more titles to the already insanely long TBR list, so thanks for that. The Red Thread is now on my list too.

• March 9, 2012 - 8:31 pm | Permalink

My bookclub read Spoiled a few years ago and the author came to our bookclub meeting – it was interesting to hear what in her background had served as fodder for some of the stories. The stories are smart and well-written.

• Ellen wenz
    April 12, 2012 - 8:55 pm | Permalink

I read The Red Thread by Ann Hood. It was very good. The story is based on her real life adoption of her daughter. I then realm Comfort, which is sort of a prequel to the other story, it was a non fiction book that dealt with the untimely death of her daughter and her grief. The Red Thread is what happens after that. Both, very moving and thought provoking.
    Ellen

April 12, 2012 - 9:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comment! I look forward to reading it.