7 Backlist Books I Want To Read

Are you running out of books to read? (If yes, I can’t relate, given the stacks of books piled up in my house). If you want to borrow ebooks or audiobooks from your library without a wait, here are 7 backlist books that remain at the top of my TBR. They may be available from your library sooner than new releases.

Someday, someday I’ll get to them.

1. The Ensemble (2018) by Aja Gabel – relationships between four musicians in a classical quartet tracked over the years
  2. The Dream Daughter (2018) by Diane Chamberlain – time travel + a mother with an unborn child with a heart defect + amazing reviews
  3. Home Is Burning (2015) by Dan Marshall – memoir about twentysomething who moves home when his mother, who has cancer, calls to tell him that his father has ALS. Incredibly, this is supposed to be funny.
  4. Christodora (2016) by Tim Murphy – novel tracking characters through many changes in East Village, with focus on heartbreak caused by AIDS
  5. Saints For All Occasions (2017) by J. Courtney Sullivan – not sure how I haven’t gotten to this book about secrets between sisters, because I’ve loved her other books
  6. Plainsong (2000) by Kent Haruf – I fell in love with his Our Souls At Night last year and can’t wait to read this book about unexpected friendships
  7. The Heart’s Invisible Furies (2017) by John Boyne – this book about an Irishman in search of his identity comes very highly recommended

• May 6, 2020 - 4:42 pm | Permalink

This is a good list. I’ve read Plainsong long ago and have read Saints for All Occasions in the past few years. If you liked Our Souls at Night, you’ll definitely love Plainsong. Saints was all right. On your list …. I want to read The Ensemble the most …. since I’ve heard it’s very good …. hmm I’ll check for it at my library.

• May 6, 2020 - 7:28 pm | Permalink

Home Is Burning and Saints For All Occasions are both fantastic.

May 9, 2020 - 7:00 pm | Permalink

Ooh, good to know. Thanks.

• Susan
    May 7, 2020 - 7:15 am | Permalink

I loved Hearts Invisible Furies. It was hanging out in my Audible library for a few years before I finally got to it and couldn’t stop listening once I started.

May 9, 2020 - 7:00 pm | Permalink

So it sounds like the audio is good too!

• Techeditor
    May 7, 2020 - 8:12 am | Permalink

I also read THE HEART’S INVISIBLE FURIES. I gave it five stars. It’s the book they get me started reading all John Boyne books.It’s a long book, but when you get to the end, you won’t want it to end.

May 9, 2020 - 6:59 pm | Permalink

That’s what I keep hearing!

• May 7, 2020 - 10:38 am | Permalink

Love this post because it can be so frustrating to get newer books from the library. I love Courtney Sullivan, too and somehow missed this title.

May 9, 2020 - 6:59 pm | Permalink

I love her too. I need to get to this one!

• May 17, 2020 - 10:56 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Gayle, you have got to drop everything and read The Heart’s Invisible Furies. Or Plainsong. Both are 5 star fiction you won’t regret! Of course, I say that knowing how hard it is to move into backlist reading when there are so many new releases coming out!